DATES & LOCATIONS
15-19 May 2023 - Antalya, Turkey
18-22 November 2024 - Valencia, Spain
CATEGORIESSoft Skills in Education
PHILOSOPHIES FOR CHILDREN
PHILOSOPHIES FOR CHILDREN
Science, which is limited to the books taught in schools, consists of classical
approaches. For this reason, in children and young people, it is important to acquire
skills such as critical thinking, being able to realize and evaluate the existing situation at
the social level, to express the problems of the present and the future, to produce
solutions within the framework of mental norms, to understand the importance of
knowing and questioning the human-world-information framework in depth, to look at
problems, facts, and events from a multidimensional perspective.
“Philosophy Education with Children” helps children build their reasoning
structures. It teaches them to justify their opinions by enabling them to think critically
and creatively. It helps them to express their thoughts and understand others through
discussion. It covers a wide range from pre-school educators to higher education
educators in terms of demonstrating that children of all ages can do philosophy.
All the participants will:
- acquire skills such as critical thinking
- be able to realize and evaluate the existing situation at the social level
- express the problems of the present and the future
- produce solutions within the framework of mental norms
- understand the importance of knowing and questioning the human-world-information
framework in depth
- look at problems, facts, and events from a multidimensional perspective
- learn that children of all ages can do philosophy
Objectives of the Course:
- acquiring skills such as critical thinking
- being able to realize and evaluate the existing situation at the social level
- expressing the problems of the present and the future
- producing solutions within the framework of mental norms
- understanding the importance of knowing and questioning the human-world-information framework in depth
- looking at problems, facts, and events from a multidimensional perspective
- learning that children of all ages can do philosophy
- Philosophical concept and acquisition of knowledge
- Reasoning, inquiry, and argumentation
- Analytical thinking
- Critical thinking
- Expression and writing skills
- Philosophical literacy
- Generating Original Ideas
- Ability to Philosophy with Children
- Teachers, trainers, educators, school administrators, etc.
Before the course,
- A detailed pre-course questionnaire to indicate their level of experience, teaching backgrounds, and training will be completed by participants.
- They will also prepare a presentation to reflect their own teaching method.
- A course participation certificate will be given to all participants.
- A Europass Mobility Certificate will be given if the participant demands it, as well.
Ice-breaking activities and introduction of the course program
Getting to know each other – Presentation of participants (a five-minute presentation)
Can kids do philosophy?
What good do children do when they make philosophical inquiries?
What should be in a philosophical dialogue?
What is the good life? How to gain empathy skills?
How to promote critical thinking skills?
Methods in philosophical discussions with children
Philosophy with Nelson's Socratic method
Philosophy with Mccall's FST method
Philosophy with Lipman's p4c program
Philosophizing p4c with the Sapere approach
Absorbing the guided Socratic discussion program
Philosophical inquiry with children of all ages
How to do philosophy with preschoolers?
The effectiveness of philosophy with primary and secondary school children
How to develop analytical thinking through philosophy with high school and adults
The contribution of using children's literature to philosophical thinking
Encouraging philosophical thinking based on stories and tales
Speaking and commenting on texts
Creating and discussing your own stories
Philosophy with drama
Questioning behaviors by playing case studies
Enabling dilemma situations to see both sides of the event
How to develop questioning and inquiry skills with various animation techniques?
Overview of the course program
Evaluation of the course program
Filling the feedback forms
Europass Mobility Certificate, Participation Certificate